The new Design Team members for Crafty Card Gallery were given our first “assignment” recently. We had to create a card from items sitting on our workspace.
I had a lot of Distress Inks sitting there, as I’d been creating a lot of cards that week, plus I had my new die set Spellbinders Nestabilities Decorative Elements Floral Ovals Die Templates (which I looooove!). I have a small basket where I add any elements (such as negatives and positives from die cuts, excess foliage etc) that I didn’t use on a particular card, but may come in handy down the track. Besides, it would be wasteful to throw them out, when they are usually useful for something.
There were also some scraps of ribbon, some Cuttlebug embossing folders, and a variety of Gina K Designs stamps.
I began by stamping a greeting onto a piece of white cardstock. In this instance I’ve used the Various Verses set from Gina K Designs.
Then, using the second largest size of the Spellbinders Nestabilities Decorative Elements Floral Ovals, and cut it out. Leaving the die in place, I sponged the die cut with Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad, Spun Sugar. Then I embossed a piece of cardstock that would be placed over the top of my base. I lightly sponged over the raised areas of the embossing folder, again with Spun Sugar. I used the D’vine Swirl folder, which is very versatile.
The die cut was added to the card using foam pads, but it looked bare, and definitely needed something else.
The ribbon on my workspace was varied in both colour and size. I had some very wide ribbon, and some teensy tiny narrow ribbon. The narrow ribbon was an almost perfect match for the Spun Sugar Distress Ink, so that’s the one I chose.
I decided to make a ribbon flower to add onto the die cut, which I did. But it wasn’t enough. Being so tiny, the ribbon produced a very tiny, but dainty flower. There was a fair amount of ribbon, so I made another flower, but now it was unbalanced, so I created a third flower.
If you’ve even made these ribbon flowers, you’ll know they’re time consuming at the best of times. When the ribbon is so narrow, they’re almost beyond fiddly, but I do believe the results were worth the time and effort required.
To finish it off, I added some left-over greenery from Festive Greenery by Tim Holtz die, and an embellishment that I don’t know the name of – I’ve thrown out the original packaging. (See image.)
I cut it quite small to match the length of the greenery, and attached all these elements to the card, placing them off to the left.
I’m very pleased with the results.
Thanks for stopping by – I hope you enjoyed this card!!
Please feel free to leave a comment.
(If the comment box isn’t showing, click on the title of the post, and it will magically appear!)